Pregnancy is an exciting time but also a time of questions, concerns and changes. We are committed to getting moms and babies off to a good start.
A home visit from a Maternal Child Health Nurse can provide peace of mind for both new and experienced parents. Most insurances will cover two or more visits. Request a VNA Community Healthcare & Hospice postpartum visit from the hospital discharge planner.
Our nurses will:
- Check the physical health of your newborn
- Check mom’s health status and provide her with strategies for a quicker recovery
- Provide information about infant care, feeding, safety, growth and development
- Answer questions about infant care
- Administer treatments prescribed by a pediatrician including synagis vaccine for the prevention of RSV in premature babies
- Offer one-on-one breastfeeding instruction to review latch, positioning, pumping and address other problems
- Help mother’s deal with breastfeeding challenges and postpartum blues
We offer prenatal education for expectant mothers, as well as our in-home services before and after delivery.
For parents who need extra support managing the complex medical needs of their children, our nurses and home health aides will teach families how to safely administer medications and tube feedings and provide post-operative care as well as cancer, diabetes and asthma education and support. Pediatric physical, occupational and speech therapists can provide exercise programs designed to improve strength, endurance, mobility and developmental skills.