VNA Community Healthcare offers many opportunities to help you improve your health, prevent illnesses and keep you independent. From group exercise classes, personalized blood pressure checks and nurse health coaching, to flu clinics and cholesterol screening, VNA Community Healthcare‘s team of professional nurses will help you design a personalized wellness program.
Blood Pressure Checks
Blood pressure checks (or as we call them) “Ask the Nurse” Clinic – Know and keep your blood pressure in check by visiting one of our drop-in Blood Pressure Clinics or make an appointment with one of our Wellness Nurses. Whether at a community site or at our office, our nurses can check your blood pressure, pulse and weight; assess your health and work with you to set healthy lifestyle goals. They can also review your medications, discuss side effects and interactions, plus give you tools and tips on how you can prepare for an upcoming physician visit. Click here to see times and locations of our clinics. Or Call: 203.458.4284 Email KEagle@vna-commh.org
Health Screenings – Get your cholesterol and blood sugar checked and receive immediate results and counseling from a nurse. You will need to be fasting for at least 12 hours and schedule an appointment at either our Hamden or Guilford office. There is small fee for this service. Call to schedule an appointment 203.458.4284 Email KEagle@vna-commh.org
Wellness Events and Classes
Wellness Achieved – through VNA Community Healthcare’s many Wellness Programs and Classes
- Guilford Wellness Center
- Our Guilford Wellness Center (753 Boston Post Rd.) offers a wide range of programs from group exercise programs to classes to help you quit smoking. Rates vary by program and are very low due to generous community support, grants and donations. Click for our schedule.
- Parkinson’s Disease Programs
- If you are living with Parkinson’s Disease, we are here to help you and your loved ones. VNA Community Healthcare offers exercise classes twice a week (nominal fee to attend – $6), a weekly dance class (free, sponsored by Rehab Concepts) and free support groups for those living with this disease and their family caregivers. Click here for our schedule.
- Our Guilford Wellness Center is also available for rental by outside groups or companies (capacity up to 50). Learn more: call 203.458.4284 or KEagle@vna-commh.org.
- Hamden Community Room
- Our Hamden office (2319 Whitney Ave.) offers weekly Tai Chi classes in the Community Room. The class is designed to help increase balance and stability, help participants avoid falls and manage their arthritis. Classes offered for beginners and those who are experienced in the practice of Tai Chi. Click here for our schedule.
- Community Programs
- VNA Community Healthcare is proud to offer exercise and health education classes throughout our 36-town service area. Our classes are designed for you to improve your cardiac health, mobility, balance and confidence. Click here for our schedule.
Stay on your feet with Falls, Not Me, VNA Community Healthcare’s highly effective fall risk program. Funded for the past 5 years by a grant from the Connecticut Collaboration for Fall Prevention at Yale University School of Medicine through the Connecticut State Department on Aging, our program offers group and individual in-home fall risk screenings and personal recommendations to reduce fall risk. We also offer many Tai Chi and chair exercise classes designed to help participants build and maintain strength and balance. Click here for our schedule.
To schedule a free fall risk screening, click to call our Transitional Care Department 203.458.4275
Getting the flu can take a big bite out of your time and energy, not to mention lost work time. Prevention is simple and easy – get an annual flu vaccine!
VNA Community Healthcare’s flu and pneumonia clinics are held September – December throughout our 36-town service area. Injections are given by experienced nurses and vaccines are covered by Medicare, Medicare HMOs and most health insurance plans.
And remember — by getting your annual flu shot with us, you are helping a local charitable organization – not a big corporation. Please click here to see dates, times, locations and which insurances we accept.
VNA Community Healthcare offers corporate health screenings, displays at wellness fairs as well as individual health coaching and wellness seminars for employees. Programs are tailored to meet the needs of individual companies. We’ve had great success and amazing results.