Need help taking care of everyday activities when you are recovering from surgery or dealing with a chronic medical condition? VNA Community Healthcare & Hospice’s occupational therapists can work with you in your own home. Call us for occupational therapy when you:
- are recovering from upper body or hand surgery
- have an ongoing medical condition that has gotten worse, such as arthritis, Parkinson’s disease or diabetes
- have returned home with weakness after a stroke or other medical event
- are in temporary or long time pain
Your doctor will give us medical orders and oversee your care. Our occupational therapists update your doctor on your condition and work with him or her to change your treatment plan, as needed.
Working with your therapist, you will create a “plan of care” to meet your personal health needs. Your plan will include regular occupational therapy visits to:
- teach you exercises to improve how far you can move your arms and hands
- show activities to increase, then maintain, your upper body strength and hand dexterity
- give advice on adapting your home for easier and safer management of daily tasks such as cooking, laundry and cleaning
- teach you and your caregivers how to use adaptive equipment such as ‘reachers’, wrist braces or elastic shoe laces.