Are you experiencing severe stress from an illness or disability, facing challenges with transportation, or struggling to find ways to pay for care? Our social workers have extensive experience with individual counseling, family dynamics, and the healthcare system. Your nurse or therapist may refer you to social work if you:

  • are coping with stress or anxiety from dealing with an acute or chronic medical condition
  • are faced with choices for yourself or a family member about which care setting is best for you
  • need help with paying for health care services

Your doctor will give us medical orders and oversee your care. Our social workers update your doctor on your condition and work with him or her to change your treatment plan, as needed.

Working with your social worker, you will create a “plan of care” to meet your personal needs. Your plan will include regular social work visits to:

  • educate you and your family members about coping with stress from a medical illness
  • teach strategies to deal with family confusion and anxiety
  • educate you about how to access community resources
  • see if you are eligible for certain benefit or entitlement programs

Your social worker may refer you to community services such as counseling centers, benefit and entitlement programs or community transportation.